Friday, June 26, 2015

Instagram and Vine

Instagram and Vine are very popular with middle school and high school students (tweens/teens).  I did learn about Vine just last year from my sixteen year old niece. Geez, can you say old!! And here I thought I was trendy because I Facebook.  lol For the past few years, I've had many daily discussions with Jamie, our school librarian, and she had mentioned that our 5th graders were so into Instagram.  She had mentioned that this was a greate avenue to promote the library for our 5th graders, but like everything there is red tape on opening an account under the school.  Either way, like Facebook and Twitter, these are two great avenues to reach parents or students on what is happening in the library.  Since, I really don't use my Instagram account, you won't find memes only photos of my family. Here are a few:
A photo posted by Rachel (@kittyandpeanut) on





A photo posted by Rachel (@kittyandpeanut) on









I know that my vines and Instagram accounts aren't as popping, but learning how to use it is powerful. Here are a few ways to use Vine and Instagram in the classroom/library:Showcasing students work, capturing field trip memories, creating a vine for our Science Fair Project, Science scavenger hunts, and possible writing prompts. I can see myself utilizing these two social media outlets to promote classroom activities and in the near future the LIBRARY whereabouts!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I had a blast with Instagram and uploading the add text app. You look great on your first day as a librarian. I viewed your vine videos, but I can't hear them. The first vine video looks interesting as the book pages are been flipped. I wish I could have heard Stacey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way. My Instagram and Vine are all about my family. LOL!!! I use Instagram to keep in touch with close family and friends. I had never heard of Vine until this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vine can be used to record things in the moment. That's useful, but if you're not a photographer, it's a new way of thinking. I think students would have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete