Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Final Reflection

     I can’t believe this semester is over. I really enjoyed every project, that I amaze myself at how I went ahead and kicked my technology FEAR!! We always talk about how hands on activities/experiences help the students make connections. Well, I’m here to testify that it is true! I was truly nervous about this class and even before because if I ever had a tech problem I would go to Ms. Little (our school librarian) or my husband to solve the problem rather than go head on and try new things. Ms. Little has always told me that I needed to kick that fear because she is the go to person on our campus even though we have a technology teacher on campus. I did fall into trouble with one assignment this semester and gave up even after my husband was willing to help me work through it, but I learned that at times you will just need to step back, reflect on the troubleshooting problem and try to tackle it again at a later time.
      There were a few technology programs/applications that I enjoyed and are beneficial for students. I really enjoyed the Cartoons/Comics assignment that I can’t wait to use it this summer. The 4th grade classes are reading novel units that I would love for students to extend their learning by creating a cartoon or comic when they come in to the library. I was thinking that maybe the 5th graders should create an Infographic to promote Clue 39 to other library patrons. Since, they will be 6th graders soon; they will be able to capture the essence of the story with an Infographic. These technology applications will help students express their creativity and learning about the book they are reading. As a reading teacher, I’m very excited about using Online Book Communities.
     Since I’m still in the classroom, I will be using BiblioNasium to share my books with students and parents. I think it was a great way to keep parents in the loop of what books you are recommending for the students or requiring. Once in the library, I will jump to Shelfari. I really liked the easy access, display of bookshelves and how it didn’t display other books that you didn’t post on your bookshelf. The reason for using Shelfari as a librarian is because we will no longer just be sharing with one class, but rather the whole school. I will be able to promote books to the school using this online book community.
     As for which technological tool gave me issues, (drum roll please) Screenr!! I was so disappointed with the program and with myself as I mentioned before. Screencasting is a great option to create informative screencasts or promotions, but we will need to explore other programs such as Screencast-o-matic or others for students to use. Honestly, I did enjoy creating a screencast, so it doesn’t get thumbs down just because I had problems with one program. This teaches us to move on and find another program that will be feasible for our students.
     All the technological tools presented in this class were AWESOME!! My favorite was creating the Book Bus Announcement for the Podcast assignment. This mobile library has been a great way to promote books for our rural communities. On another note, it’s taking me a while to get accustomed to blogging, but I guess it’s about getting outside of your comfort zone. Writing doesn’t come naturally to me and I hesitate when I’m trying to get my thoughts across, but with this class I have conquered two fears writing and technology!!!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel about being hesitant with technology! I would always ask my children or the tech guys for help. Well this year, I became one of the tech "guys" so I had to learn by trial and error. All of these library classes and being thrown into the position made me more confident, but I still dislike recording myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the book bus announcement, too! Rachel, you are a good writer and your voice needs to be heard. I hope you continue to contribute to others' learning by blogging!

    ReplyDelete