OMG!! It's amazing on all the accessible technology out there to get the word out about how to use a program, application, or just to give information. I team teach and I normally read the same book twice and by the end of the second round my throat is aching. Screencasts are excellent for the library especially when demonstrating how to use a search engine, database or school catalog rather than repeat yourself to each student. Working in the library as the librarian this summer, I've caught myself showing 5th graders how to use Destiny Quest, mind you they've been exposed or taught how to use it since Kinder. So, with that being said, a screencast can be created and put on the desktop for students to see and review how to use it or others that have information you want to share. I think screencasts may also be used for Book Fair announcements and have teachers share at their leisure or put on the tv on a loop.
Screenr
What a disappointment!! Now that I've semi calmed down. This program is pretty simple to record. The problem is all the obstacles and a possible aneurysm you may get from trying to figure out how to publish your work. I googled for help and I found out that it wasn't just me having difficulty publishing my work. I'm afraid my computer may get a virus from running that program. I had to okay that I was aware of possible risks. It took me 3 hours to finally throw in the towel and give up on publishing my work. I went through two search engines, two computers, and multiple recording attempts and nothing. Oh, my favorite part, "Hum, I don't recognize the user!" Seriously, I've only create my account hmmmmm 1,000 times. Okay, I may be exaggerating, but my stress level went up the roof with this issue. I will not use this program and don't recommend it to anyone. Boy what a disappointment!!
Screencast-o-matic
What can you say about Screencast-o-matic? I'm not quite sure if it was easier than Screenr. They were both pretty easy to record. They were not complicated self explanatory or check out the video on how to create. The problem that I've been enduring is the publishing. I finally published via YouTube and it took awhile to become available to view. Publishing wasn't difficult, it gave you a few options to publish work. I did like how you didn't have to go through the whole Java hassle and hmmm who are you again. I did like how you are able to delete work immediately rather than clicking done and choosing whether to publish or discard like screenr. Whoops, wait my work never got published.
On the other hand, I would recommend Screencast-o-matic for students to publish work or if I want to share information about a program with students. Like I said before, they did make it a lot easier to create and publish.
I think everyone feels your pain with using Screenr. You are right about loosing your voice continually repeating the same things over and over. Screencasts are a perfect way to solve that problem.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you struggled using Screenr, too. At least you got to experienced it a little, I couldn't because of the Java problem. I couldn't upload it either, therefore I couldn't use Screenr. I recommend you use Jing. It's super easy with some defects, but very doable. Screencast-o-matic, the best!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with Screenr!!! I had 3 sleepless nights trying to figure it out until I finally gave up. Like you, I tried 2 different computers, but to no avail. My computer already had a virus so it was no big deal. But I had my 9 year old daughter threatening me that if anything happened to her computer, I'd have to pay for a new one since Santa paid for this one. ; ) LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteThe problem with Screenr seems to be a change in how they want Java to run. It's a new issue (since the last time this class was taught) and for security reasons as well as the fact that you as teachers don't have control over what gets downloaded, Screenr will continue to be a pain...
ReplyDelete