Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Cartoons and Comics

As I was exploring these sites, I realized that a student's creativity will be seen through this activity. I've often used cartoon strips for Reading or Language Arts assignments, but using these applications to get content across will take it to a different level.

MakeBeliefsComix



The moment that I didn't have to register to use this program, I gave it a thumbs up.  As a teacher, it does become a bit cumbersome to use and create accounts for all the students.  This will make the process move smoother and faster.  The simplicity of this program is user friendly for elementary students. It offers enough features to create a comic.  The changing of features is manageable for students to use on their own. This program doesn't offer a large variety, but enough to create one to express concept being taught. I did like the option of language to create comic. This will enable our ELL and Bilingual students to create one in their language. Saving the project wasn't difficult, but it did not offer an embed option like the other two programs. I had to save it to my drive and upload comic to the blog.  After learning how to embed items to my blog, you kind of get used to using this new knowledge. I was able to share my work via email also. On a side note, I would've liked more COLOR to give a pop into your comic.



Pixton


Ooh LALA!!! I really enjoyed using Pixton. I LOVED all the extra features that MakeBeliefsComix didn't offer. I enjoyed how the characters and settings were a little bit more real. I really enjoyed the color and details that are offered in the features.  Pixton offers a beginner and advanced option for the comic strip.  This will allow for those students that are a bit more creative and willing to take a risk, to enter the advanced option of the comic strip.  The advanced option allows you to change the setting and character for each frame rather than keeping the same setting/characters and changing the position for the characters.  I think that this option is EXCELLENT for students that like to take a challenge.  On another note, Pixton is kind of pricey if purchased for the whole school to use.  I calculated about $1,225 for a school of 700.  It's not bad if we can persuade our administrators how this program can be incorporated in all subjects.  Pixton offers many ways of sharing your work such as embed, via social media, etc. and saving it. Two-thumbs up for me!! Now I wish I would've created a more exciting comic.  Okay, who am I kidding, I'm not that creative.  lol


ToonDoo

All about Mrs. Flores



ToonDoo was fun!! I really enjoyed all the features it had to offer.  The features were simple, but a large variety with a tad of cuteness.  I enjoyed that it allowed the user to change the setting within each frame without deciding if you were a beginner or advanced.  As times, that option does intimidate some users not to go that extra mile with their creativity.  I really enjoyed expressing my interests by using a different setting for each.  This program is so user friendly that all elementary students would be able to utilize and create comics.  


All of these programs have so much to offer.  Yes, it went from simple to a variety of features being available for usage, but nothing our kids wouldn't enjoy using.  MakeBeliefsComix does offer less features, but it has the potential to create a sensible comic.  ToonDoo and Pixton are the BMW's for comic strip creating.  They have all the bells and whistles.  I can see myself incorporating these strips in vocabulary building, where students can show usage of words in context.  These comics may also be used by students demonstrating how to solve a math problem.  The lesson possibilities are endless using these programs.  Now, instead of using paper comic strips, my class will be able to demonstrate their knowledge using these programs.  


3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of money, but I think it would be very well spend. The idea of using comic strips and making learning fun....I believe shouldn't have a price! But, I know reality is another thing. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about not having to make accounts for all students at MakeBeliefs Comix. It's good to know about this for your teachers. Think about how you might "market" the use of comics and 'toons to teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your introduction cartoon- great idea. Mind if I steal?

    ReplyDelete