Sunday, June 14, 2015

Blogs and Blog Readers

    Blogs, blogs, blogs, oh my!! Cyber world is full of Blog Readers and blogs which at times you may get lost in all the information that bloggers are sharing. I enjoy reading through teaching blogs and getting new ideas to teach a certain SE, but the world of school library blogs was an eye awaken-er of how many librarians out there are more than willing to share their innovative plans, center ideas, new applications that they have tried and what their patrons/students are interested.
     From the vast Blog Readers, I feel more comfortable with Blogger as a beginner. It is easy to manage when adding posts and adding to your reading list.  Blogger and Bloglovin are similar to use where you can locate the Blog Archives by years and months. I was also able to follow other blogs regardless of Blog Reader. Through Blogger, you may add the blog by adding the url to the your Reading List.  
    There are so many blogs out there that it may become overwhelming, but the good nostalgic kind of overwhelming where one does not want to stop reading or surfing their blog. I finally narrowed down my choices to the following five blogs:

Mrs. Lodge Library

Mrs. Lodges library blog has not been updated since November 2014, but being a new follower, I have a lot to peruse through.  Mrs. Lodge shares library center ideas, research projects, and new applications she has used with her classes. Her blog is vibrant, full of ideas, and one may get lost for hours perusing though it.

Elementary Library

The elementary librarian blog offers a lot of insight on iPad applications and iPad usage in library.  One blog was about ways to collaborate with teachers.  I love how she created a "Books to Buy" Pinterest board and gave all her teachers access to it, allowing them to pin books they would like purchased. She also offered having a preview afternoon of new selections for the teachers. 

Primary School Diva

Primary School Library Diva's blog shares her daily or monthly lesson ideas and student projects.  I noticed that Community partners come and read aloud books to the library classes.  She has set up her blog with tabs on top to share Book Challenges, DIY's, Swap Reveals, and home.  

The Lifeguard Librarian

The lifeguard librarian shares her daily life with pictures of favorite quotes or books.  I enjoyed visiting her blog because she will share her favorite spots to read and work.  Many times, we need to remind our students that reading happens everywhere not just in school or as a bedtime story.  She advocates for diversity of books and libraries.  

Elmirahs Library

This blog shares YA literature.  I enjoyed reviewing some of the staff picks for Summer reading for their high school students. The hottest book trends and book lists are also shared in this blog. The librarian also promotes audio books using http://www.audiobooksync.com/ .  Readers are able to listen to two books a week for free and may download the application and listen to them on any device.  


This whole adventure in blog seeking, just made me so excited about what new ideas I can incorporate in the library this summer.  I have always been very hesitant in technology, but diving into it this summer is my new challenge. I'm one that promotes self confidence in my students and always take on new challenges head on, but if they only new that their teacher hesitates in new challenges.  So with that in closing, blogs are an open window to seek new ideas and how to overcome the technology obstacle before introducing it to the kids!! Blogs, blogs, and more blogs!!!








1 comment:

  1. This was a nice outline of all the different blogs you looked at. I have gotten some really good books from audiobook sync! This is the second year they've done this! You can share this with teachers either for their own enjoyment or for them to share with kids. The best part is you own the file forever!

    ReplyDelete