As I perused through the many school library Facebook pages, I noticed that promoting literacy is one of the main trends. A Facebook page will assist the community who is searching for new books, literature activities, book clubs, recommended summer lists, and even technology links that may be helpful for their children. Valleyview Elementary and Becker Elementary libraries stood out the most, because they shared research projects, creative projects reflecting read alouds, and students engaged in leisure reading. These two pages also included the programs they were using for some projects such as Popplet.com and Storybird.com. As a third grade teacher, I visited Storybird.com and noticed how students are engaged with the program to create own writing and poetry. Some libraries, also promoted Picture book month, Author visits, and new library inventory to the community. These promotions will allow the community to be up to date with what is happening in their school libraries. Many of the posts did not receive many comments, but the ones that they did get, were positive. They complemented how well they were promoting the Library Program.
One of the disadvantages that I noticed about the Facebook pages is that librarians sporadically post what is happening in the library. This will make the community stop following the page. I understand that one may get busy, but if this has been established one should keep up with the page. The other disadvantage that I noticed, was that those that commented were all adults. Therefore, when these Facebook pages were established they were targeted for students and the community, but the students are not networking these pages.
Good points, Rachel!
ReplyDelete